This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extracted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entries of the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the Civil War from soldiers perspective from Newbern. We pick up late in the year of 1966, One hundred fifty years ago.

The first item that was listed in the Diary was in the Fall of 1866 wheat was selling for $2.25 per bushel. In August 1866 McCorkle sued Peter Farrar for damage "for failing to comply with contract". McCorkle got a judgement which amounted to $13 and court costs. The total was a whopping $19.50. A short time after the lawsuit, McCorkle had to make a trip to Mississippi.

He was gone a week. He stayed at the home of S. A. Grier and went to the farm of A. B. Cowan. From there he went to Hernando, Mississippi and saw Dr. L. H. Hall and had a visit with J. B. Stamps and Dr. McCarto. His last visit was with B. W. Lauderdale and then he headed for home. The very day he returned from that long trip he went that night to Center (located near the crossroads of Tatumville Road and Edgewood Road) to attend preaching. The next day he left for Rutherford to return the mule he had borrowed to ride home from Rutherford. He rode to Rutherford on the train from Mississippi. It was now fall again and all the churches in the community were having revival meetings. Services closed at Center and started at Yorkville and then opened at Lamalsamac. Rev. Reuben Burrow preached on "The Mellinium" one night.

A sewing frolic was held at the McCorkle home and the women had a fine time. Later that month sadness struck the community as they learned of the death of L. Scott and H. H. Banks.

Oct. 1866 McCorkle left again for Mississippi. He gave exact times he left and his arrivals. He said his train (didn't say where) left at 9 a .m. and went to Grand Junction, Tenn. Where he had to layover for 4 hours. Then, he went to Germantown and got there at 9:30 p.m. where he stayed all night at Mrs . Luckett's, probably a boarding house. He hired Mr. Ed Gorman to take him to see J. B. Stamps where he stayed the next three days. McCorkle and Stamps had a fine time bird hunting. Stamps then took McCorkle to Hernando, Miss. where he was to get the train to Union City, Tenn. before going on home. He arrived in Union City at 11:30 that night and spent the next two days at a fair being held in Union City. Mr. McCorkle was abou.t 39 years of age at this time.

Elihu Scott preached his third sermon at Lamalsamac Church. R. Q. Roache and his wife, Rebecca of Missouri came for a visit and stayed a week. It was their first visit since they left in 1857. They visited family, friends and went to the family grave-yard.

In November 1866 W. L. Woods built his cotton press and the last of the month McCorkle left for Nashville. He was gone 8 days this time. Going along on this trip with him were Dr. Maxwell and Rev. H. MeLeskey. On this trip they left Rutherford on the train at 3:30 a.m. and missed the connection at Humboldt so they went to spend the day in Gadsden with H. W. Reeves and then left Gadsden at 8 p.m. They got to Nashville the next day at noon and stayed at 27 Cherry Street. Spent the next day in Nashville and then went on the Nashville and Decatur R. R. to Thompson Depot and stayed that night with Dr. THompson. The next day they all went to Bethesda and Cottage Grove and spent the night with J . A. Moore at Bethesda.

They returned to Nashville and went out to Franklin College. Got there after dark. The next day they spent the day at the college and heard President Fanning preach twice. They returned to Nashville and left on the N. and Louisville R. R. and got to Fountania Head Depot. From there they got a horse from John Rony and went to E. M. Halls and then returned the next day at 2 p.m. when they left on the railroad for home "via Bowling Green. Traveled all night in great danger of accidents etc.". They got to Humboldt at 10 a. m. which was 5 hours behind time and they had to stay in Humboldt until 8:30 p.m. before they started for Rutherford, Tenn.

We will continue next month with more from the diary, people and happenings around the area.