This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extrac ted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entrie s o f the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the from his perspective as a Newbern business owner. We pick up from our April 2017. We closed that article where on April 8, W. E. Copelan, Mayor of Newbern, fell dead in front of Shoffner's store. (Currently we have no records of where this store was located.)

By April 24th the gnats were terribly bad. "Have to keep up big smokes for horses and cows to stand around". The army worms were bad again, too.

On May 24th, I saw George B. Tinsley and he related his trouble to me and told me he was 76 years old". On Oct. 21 Mr. Tinsl ey moved to Caruthersville, Missouri to live with his children. (Remember Mr. Tinsley was Newbern’s first City Judge and once was owner of the finest hotel in Newbern located on Tinsley’s Corner. This area was located from the East Side of the Hardware Store and included Coop’s Café at the corner of East Main and Washington.)

SIDE NOTE ....Found this researching: On June 12, Rev. J.A. Dunlap, Minister of the Newbern Cumberland Presbyterian Church died of heart trouble at the age of fifty six at his home. He had also served at Cool Springs, Hurricane Hill, RoEllen and Union Grove Cumberland Churches. He came to Newbern in 1870. It was said that he performed more marriages and funerals than any other preacher in the area.

During all his ministry he never missed an appointment unless providentially hindered. It never rained too much, it was never too hot nor too cold for him to go. He was perhaps seen at his best in the family. He was a faithful, loving husband and the kindest of fathers. Among his many beautiful traits of character there was one that especially impressed me. It was his broad minded charity for the opinions, the faults and foibles of others. It was my pleasure to frequently meet with him in the fullest interchange of confidential thought, and I never heard him speak uncharitably of any one. If he had no words of commendation he was silent. He was universally loved.

His name is a household word all over this country. Hundreds will rise up in the last great day and call him blessed. As an evidence of the regard the people had for him, when the writer preached his funeral there were more than a thousand people present, and had it been extensively known, there would have been a great many more. As an evidence of the regard the Masonic fraternity had for him, there was a large procession to follow him to his last resting place, and lay his remains quietly away. ( Written by Rev. T. S. BUCHANAN, published in The Cumberland Presbyterian Records, November 11, 1897, page 616)

June 25th, 1897 the wind took everything. It blew the top off of Harry Gibbon's stable and crib. There were only two logs of the crib left in place. It filled the road and even the woods so full of timber that it is difficult to get about anywhere. It even scattered horses and cows. Some never found and some were found dead.

July and August were terribly hot months with the temperature reaching 102 degrees. On October 20, Wm. J. Scobey "started to Sumner County to collect his fourth wife. He lived together with his 3rd wife only five months. This was the same length of tim e he stayed with his 1st wife."

On Oct. 30th all the towns from Rives to Memphis were quarantined for yellow fever.

In November, the city election results were as follows: Mayor, J. S. McCorkle; Recorder, J. W. Prichard; Town Marshall, Tom H urt ; and the aldermen were Asa Dickey, Q. Shumate, J. S. Crenshaw, F. W. Payne, W. A. Henson and H. J. Swindler.

On Nov. 22, 1897 the State Gazette office with 4 or 5 other buildings burned in Dyersburg.