This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extracted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entries of the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the from his perspective as a Newbern business owner. We pick up from our August 2016 issue.
(In 1890, no month given) There was only one night ride between Louisville and Memphis. The mail and express train left Newbern at 11:05 a.m. The Limited Express left at 8:05 p.m. The freight train arrived at 6:00 p.m. and the local freight arrived at 6:15 p.m. The Limited Express stopped only at Trimble, Obion and all railroad crossings and county seats. Other trains stopped at all stations. All the trains stopped at Newbern. The Louisville train that had been staying all night in Newbern had been taken off. (Assuming the train did not stay this particular night and was gone when the local freight train arrived or it could have been transferred to a different depot) (To give you an idea, all trains stopped in Newbern, this give the indication that Newbern was quite a hub for the railroad, considering the fact Newbern was the end-of-the line from the North for over 5 years. If you wanted to ride the train to Chicago, you had to board at Newbern.)
On March 10, James R. Green and Joe G. Huie started off to Texas to make it their home." (not sure if they took the train or head that way by wagon.) Elections were held for District Number 9.— B. R. Parks was elected Magistrate.
Cottonseed sold at McCutchen and Scott Gin for 10¢ per bushel.
Newbern Bank capital stock was $100,000 with H. C. Porter President. Directors were H. C. Porter, J. Ira Jones, Jno E. McCorkle, B. Cox, M. C. Hamilton, B. R. Parks, L. M. Williams, J. R. Westbrook, Jr. and Q. Shumate. J. A. C-renshaw was Assistant Cashier and W. S. Draper was attorney for the bank.
- Businesses in the community in 1890 were:
- Asa Dickey and Co., dry goods
- W. A. Henson, dentist
- The Porter Boarding House
- Mrs . S. A. Marks, proprietor
- Westbrook and Radford, druggist
- Dickey and Westbrook Hardware
- R. M. Goodloe and Brothers, druggist
- G. W. Gregory, dry goods, staples and groceries
- Sears and Ridens, stoves, tinware, roofing and guttering
- Steel and Company, dry goods
- Hamilton and Brothers general merchandise
- Edward Brady, jeweler
- Jouree and Bunn, blacksmith and woodworkers
- Dock Poteet, liquors and wines
- The Boss Saloon, J. W. Ridens, proprietor
- Wilson and Bradshaw, general merchandise
- Parker and Company groceries and hardware
- E. W. Gregory and Brothers, hardware, farm implements, seed, groceries and Queensware
- G. M. Keenan, groceries
- A. F. Dickson, (established 1870), clothes and shoes.
During the year several houses burned in town. John W. Ellis's property burned in August and two houses that belonged to Mrs. Dickson and one to Mr. Beech in northwest Newbern also caught fire. Mr. Beech had no insurance but the other property was covered.
Newbern school opened in September 1890 with nearly 400 pupils. Several of the Newbern City merchants left in September for the Eastern Markets to buy fall and winter stock.