This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extracted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entries of the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the from his perspective as a Newbern business owner. We pick up late in the year of 1889 and continue from our June 2016 issue.
Over the years Newbern had three Newspapers. Two were started and eventually closed. The Newbern Enquirer which was published about 9 years, and the Newbern Bugle, published only in the year 1874. The Newbern Enquirer discontinued its publication in 1887.
In late 1887 or early 1888, In order to have a town newspaper, the businessmen organized a stock company and bought the small printing plant. It was shortly after this that W. W. Glass became the editor of the paper and was successful in a sufficient measure to buy all the stock, thus becoming owner of the publication. Mr. Glass also owned the weekly paper at Trenton. He continued to publish the Newbern Tennessean until his death in 1921. One son, Charles Glass went to Trenton to publish the paper there and his other two sons, Quintard & Leon Glass continued to publish in Newbern.
On Oct. 12, 1944 Quintard Glass purchased his brother's interest in the Newbern business and continued to publish until he sold the paper to Mr. and Mrs. Bill Anderson. At this point the paper became known and published as the Dyer County Tennessean. In 1981 the Andersons sold the paper to Vyron and Cindy Mitchell who continued the publication until 1996 when the publication was purchased by Rush Communications, which owned the State Gazette. The Tennessean continued for short time and the publication was discontinued. Now 20 years later the Dyer County Tennessean is a faded memory of our history. The publication was one that was truly family based and covered “ALL” the local news and happenings from Lane to Tatumville. The most noted and anticipated section of the Tennessean in its latter years was “Strolling Otis” written by Otis West who passed in 1988. He would publish anything he saw or heard from the barber shop to Heathcott Brother Service Station. It made life interesting, but he was well admired and a treasure to Newbern.
During the years, the Tennessean has had several locations but moved to the corner of Main and Washington on August 23, 1925. (located directly beside the hardware store shown above. The building was demolished around 2003) Changes in the early days were not difficult, because the equipment consisted principally of an Adams hand newspaper press, a job press, propelled by a treadle, and a small quantity of type. When electricity became available, motors were brought to run the presses. A linotype was installed in 1925. This was the typesetting machine which set approximately 8 lines of straight news matter per minute. After 1944, other new machinery was added to make a more efficient printing establishment.
Below top is the location of the paper when owned by the Anderson’s located next to B&W Auto Parts.
Below down is the last location of the paper when owned by the Mitchell’s.