This information being taken from a book written by Arahwana Hendren Ridens named the Dyer County and Newbern Tennessee, A history of the 39 earliest families in Dyer County. Part of this information was extracted from this publication, along with other documents and related stories and oral family histories. We continue with the entries of the McCorkle Diaries and what was entered about the from his perspective as a Newbern business owner. We pick up late in the year of 1880 and continue from our February 2016 issue. When we ended last month, R.H.A. McCorkle had just returned from Memphis after driving the final spike and dedicating the completed railroad.
In July 1882, A. G. Pierce, Willard Tenney and William Walker were candidates for county offices. The candidates for Congress spoke in Newbern. On August 3, the county elections were held and those elected were: Nathan B. Tarrant was elected Sheriff; A. G. Pierce was elected Trustee; Merie Brackin was elected Circuit Court Clerk; Zack Watkins was elected County Court Clerk; J. L. Boon was elected Register, Smith Parks and John E. McCorkle were elected Justices of the Peace for District No.9.
In September 1882, H. L. Fowlkes was nominated to represent us in the next legislature. He was nominated at the County Convention held in Dyersburg. On November. 7, 1882, Election Day, those elected were: William. B. Bate, who won Governor of Tennessee, Dr. B. B. Watkins won State Senator, and H. L. Fowlkes won State Representative of Dyer County for the 41st General Assembly.
Side Note: Dr. Watkin was a physician and operator of the Dyersburg Sanitarium until his death. When researching, a patent was found which was shared with him and inventor R.A. Stevens dated August 04th, 1903. The invention was a display case which revolved allowing access to all four sides without the individual moving. REFERENCE THIS SITE http:// www.google.com/patents/US735614. The most interesting thing, is that there has been over 100 adaptations to the original invention.
On a cold day in January 1883 D. R. Hendricks sold out all his personal property possession to move to Texas. He left the on the 30th. He had lived in the Newbern area for nearly 50 years.
On March 8, 1883, Jess F. Williamson was elected magistrate in Newbern, District No.6. March 12, "Ground froze hard this morning, it was a fine day. Sheriff Tarrant went down and closed John G Sharpes “Sharpe & Company Store". The next day, (March 13th) Dr. Jeff D. Cole was sick with the measles. They thought for a while it was chicken-pox.
April 15, 1883, it was a cloudy morning. Ege Parnell went by early this morning to see his “Shelton darling” seemed as happy as he could be. I guess she went back on him because when he returned about noon he was broken hearted". Mr. Parnell went back the following Sunday to renew his suit.
In 1883, Newbern was still growing, it had two flouring mills, two steam cotton gins, three steam saw mills, fifty-five business houses, two planning mills, and three hotels. The beautifully furnished Porter House with its twenty-two rooms was located in front of the Grand Union Depot, now the west side of the up-town park.
The "drummers” all along this road (Main Street) knew Mrs. J. W. Gilmore, a Selmer Alabama lady in charge of the hotel, and sang her praises . Her tables were served with the best the market could afford. It was well cooked, exquisitely clean, and a first-class Nashville black man used to callout, when the train stopped, "First Class dinner is ready".
Mr. I. R. Dayton, who owned a store in Newbern was elected Mayor in this year (1883). He came to Newbern from Nashville where for a number of years, was connected with the Southeastern Railroad. His home was originally in Ohio. There was only one dentist in Newbern at this time, Dr. J. R. Starkey, who was a graduate of the Missouri Dental College in St. Louis. He was a native of Madison County, Tenn., and was in Cheatham's Division during the Civil War.
Some other business in Newbern in 1883 were: , Youree and Holt, general blacksmiths; H. J. Pace, barber; McCorkle and Brown, physicians; J. M. Morgan, dry goods store; W. S. Coover, and Walker and Cockroft," were attorneys-at-law; Dr. Francis A. Evans, whose office was 6 miles west of Newbern near Prospect; A. B. Tigrett, general fire insurance agent; T. A. Scott, painter; W. E. Johnston and Company, druggists; J. W. Prichard and Brothers, grocers; Planters Mill owned by W. E. Butler and John Wyatt; The Dickey Hotel, Mrs. Joanna Dickey, Proprietor; J. W. Wyatt, and W. T. Fields, general blacksmith.